Global effort realizes the first 100% complete sequence of the human genome 

Representation of DNA double helix

by Tanatchapoom (Tony) Mueantonthian

April 08, 2022 C.E.

The international team of scientists known as the Telomere-to-Telomere (T2T) has published the first complete gap-free sequence of the human genome, according to New Atlas. The new gap-free human genome mapping will add hundreds of millions of base pairs to earlier drafts, filling in crucial gaps that will improve studies of disease and evolution.

This human genome project has been a work in progress for decades and was published in its first draft in 2000 and a “complete” genome in 2003. However, the project only provided the Euchromatic regions, which comprise around 92 percent of the total genome. Two decades later, the T2T team has finally found the remaining 8 percent 

This complete human genome will be useful for future studies, especially in identifying genetic markers of disease and developing new therapies to remedy those diseases.


Era: Today (2017 C.E. - 2024 C.E.)
Year: 2022 C.E.
Topic: Public health & disease
Actor Type: Science & academia
Institution: U.S. National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *